Composting may seem like a complicated thing to do, but it’s much easier than you think. Composting is one of the best things you can do to help the environment as it prevents unnecessary amounts of waste ending up in landfills.
There are many different composting options, depending on where you live and what your living arrangement is like. Did you know that our food waste that gets sent to landfill produces methane gas, which is a toxic greenhouse gas that produces global warming potential more than carbon dioxide? Although your food waste will eventually break down in landfills, it happens much slower.
When you think of composting, do you picture a big backyard with a lot of space or a huge compost bin big enough to fit a small village? We don’t blame you, until recently, we were in the same boat. If you’re living in an apartment there are plenty of under the counter, odorless ways to compost, the Urban Composter being one.
How to Compost
- Cut your food waste into small pieces read to throw into your bucket
- If you’re using an outdoor bin skip this step. Spray your bucket with accelerator spray which will help the waste to ferment break down easily.
- Throw the scraps into the bucket (you can drain the juice every few days, add to your garden, indoor plants or in the toilet)
- Mix the waste into outdoor soil where it will begin to break down. If you don't have a garden check out what your local council does. We throw ours at a local school.
- If you do have a garden, your compost will love it so add it to your garden and watch it flourish.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to DM us on Instagram. Or let us know if you have tried composting and have any other tips!